View Single Post
Old 2011-06-30, 22:19   Link #11
deadite

Is it a cultural thing? I don't mind all of the crying in the show. It was pretty elegant and not overly melodramatic. In fact Poppo's breakdown and final scream are one of the most potent and visceral emotions I've seen in a show. Also, I thought Poppo was very well foreshadowed with a lot of a subtle hints. The more I look at it, Menma is more of a symbol than she is a character. She represents something the characters want back into their lives.

Interesting Ano Hana tidbits I caught after 2nd viewing.

In Episode 3 when Menma first prays to Touko she tears up without reason... or so we thought.

In Episode 8 when Jinta finally cries, instrumental version of "I Left You" is playing. Menma tears up again and the promise being fulfilled kick starts her memory which is slowly revealed until Episode 11 where we find out what the wish was and "I Left You" is playing.

If anyone listened to the lyrics of "I Left You" It's about not hiding your pain and you'll eventually get over you loss and that you should not be ashamed to show your grief.

I really liked how Menma wasn't there for herself but for Jinta and a promise to Touko. It was just a bonus that Menma was able to spend time with her friends again and help mend their wounds. The Busters Reconciling wasn't a requirement for her to go to heaven.

8/10 for me because it would be a 10/10 if given a couple more episodes.

Also, I wonder if this would have worked better as a feature length film like 5cm/sec or Tokikake?