View Single Post
Old 2010-05-17, 00:29   Link #1072
emp_athy

Send a message via MSN to emp_athy
I believe hate is a very strong word and should not be used so freely. Differences of opinion are usually a result of individual preference.
I often come across films/series I do not particularly like, but I will always see merit, and give praise where it is deserved. Evidently our indvidual preferences do taint our judgment, are bias, but I do make a conscious effort to remain impartial when describing a film or recommending it to others.

A film/series can be incredible, and very popularly liked - and I will admit that, despite whether or not I like it myself.

Personally I am only really interested in anime with adult themes and content. This doesn't simply refer to the obvious: sexual explicitness, violence and gore - but storyline's that are deep and complex, philosophical in nature, or that explore intense human interpersonal relationships - social commentaries if you like. Anime's that only an adult audience could possibly understand.

Something like the incredibly popular Naruto holds little appeal with me. I attempted to watch it on a number of occasions, but it just bored me. It's an anime that is suitable for all ages, a family orientated anime - like The Simpsons, everyone can enjoy it. It is not something I would enjoy watching, but impartially, I feel it's a good series with interesting characters and an imaginative concept.

I am in the process of creating a review blog - just for fun, a creative outlet. I try to remain impartial - analysing and interpreting what I view, exploring the positive and negative aspects of any given film/series, without injecting my personal opinion. I reserve my personal opinion until the very end, after I have given all of the information - and alongside other sourced ratings - to allow people to make up their own minds. The purpose is primarily to share the interest, the enthusiasm - than to negatively or positively criticise.

I find with a lot of sites, not just regarding anime (or indeed this one), but regarding music for instance, people are quick to slag off something they do not like themselves, and consquently ridicule others for their tastes, without seeing merit or anything positive in it. It can be quite difficult when people hold such strong personal opinions, and are unable to take anyone else's into consideration.

Fortunately it appears this website is frequented by intelligent people who can justify their opinions and even see beyond them - unlike many other website's I have been on in the past.