View Single Post
Old 2004-11-06, 02:19   Link #32
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
There's nothing wrong with good HG models.

The reworked HGUC lines are incredible in the detail and articulation present despite the small scale. Comparatively, I have an older HG Zeta and HG RX-178, the white plastic in the Zeta model isn't white, more like a very slight GREEN. It doesn't even look like Zeta in several respects. So while they aren't bad, not all HG kits are of equal make.

Now, the non-grade models (400yen or so) completely lack most articulation and color, I had one of the Blitz gundam and almost nothing moved... ick.

If you can afford MG, go for it. There's few PG models, and the MG kits have excellent detail. I've got 4 MG (from Z, ZZ, and 0083) and 3 PG models (RX-178 Titans, Zeta, Zaku II (green)), plus a couple 1/144 HGUC kits. The old HG kits were turned into paint testbeds, while I did a complete repaint of my HGUC Gaplant (from titans colors to AEUG colors found in the Z Gundam game.)

As for painting, rainbowten.co.jp ships Gunze Sangyo Acrylic Lacquers and water-based Acrylics (safer) almost anywhere. I use a Badger airbrush and a $75 dollar air compressor (2 gallon tank, all told airbrush + compressor came to $150.) Once you get a handle on properly thinning the paints and working with them, the results can be quite nice... I'm close, so very close.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote