View Single Post
Old 2013-02-05, 13:41   Link #97
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
It would cleanse the nutjobs in power and make way for better leaders hopefully. When you have failed miserably as a leader, it's time to go whether you like it or not. Bakemono vs bakemono...Might not have happened if they didn't act like that in the first place against the Bakenezumi and their own young. Not saying culling potential threats isn't necessary but this society seems to have no limits in their purges
What nutjobs? Just because they follow a system we don't agree with doesn't mean they're nutjobs... Obviously they're not doing it because they like it but because this was the best solution their ancestors could come up with and nobody has found anything better. Besides, the entire reason why Tomiko made Group 1 was to raise a new generation of leaders who can make the village evolve with time. (And perhaps find a new, better solution to their issues - I mean, not very long ago for a surprisingly long time, lobotomy was actually considered a pretty good idea, the best existing solution for problems science couldn't deal with otherwise. Fast-forward a few decades, and here we are being completely terrified at the very idea of it...)

And as for the bakenezumi... again, while there is obviously oppression going on it's not like the humans beat them and keep them on chains and work them until they can't move anymore and then kill and hunt them for fun or anything? Like, nobody goes "guys, I'm bored, let's go kill some bakenezumi"? In fact, if anyone remembers the previous episode, it's basically only Kiroumaru's colony cluster that provides labor force for humans, the rest is pretty much left alone and humans just keep tabs on them. Any punishment involving death also only occur on the occasion of breaking serious rules/taboos. Which I'm not saying is good or anything, and it's obviously pretty bad how humans look down on bakenezumi, but it's not like the bakenezumi live their lives being physically and mentally exploited and abused. (By humans, I should add. What they do to each other is another thing.)

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and in any case we haven't seen full picture yet (not even close) which is more complex than what it seems. But I still don't see how massacring a village-ful of people (some of whom may be legit dicks, but others are struggling to deal with a situation they inherited and most of whom are innocent) would help either in building sympathy and understanding for the bakenezumi or in handling the akki/gouma problem.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-02-05 at 19:01.