View Single Post
Old 2012-05-15, 12:56   Link #28869
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Also on the topic of contradictions, I have been rewatching Ep 1. Almost everyone agrees that Shkannon is the culprit in the forgeries (prime is more contentious), and that she intended to kill people. I am also aware of people who play the "Her murder mystery was hijacked" card. Putting aside the fact Nanjo is a sucky doctor who should have been quicker on the uptake, and any time Kinzo appeared as first twilight victim Krauss or Natsuhi should have known something was up, there is a problem.

Beatrice's letter states that she will give everything back if the epitaph is solved, however since forgery beatrice intends to kill people she can't. She isn't supposed to break promises...

Also, does anyone actually have any ideas why Eva shot Battler (or at Battler) in ep 3?
Nanjo, Krauss, and Natsuhi are usually in on it, and when the latter two aren't, it's implied that Kinzo's corpse is being used to intimidate them. They can't exactly SAY anything's up, since they're doing their own illegal shit.

Also, the letter and Beato's actions are conflated, just like how Yasu's personalities are depicted as separate beings when they're really not. The letter is probably exactly as depicted in reality, where she can make good on her promise to revive the dead, but it's preserved in the Forgeries even though she's substituting for real murder.

Eva shot Battler because, as the two of them were the only ones left, she thought he was the murderer.

Quote:
I'm still a bit confused as to where exactly Episode 8's narration contradicts Incompetent Battler
Battler says that the Gamemaster knows everything about what happens on the Gameboard, and that Ange's disappearance was an impossible, unprecedented event, making him conclude there's a second Gamemaster. This directly contradicts EP6, where Erika was able to kill people without Battler knowing.

Quote:
The bigger problem for me is that Ryukishi's definition of love seems to be the most twisted thing in the entire series. If I can't lift a set of weights, it isn't "love" if I imagine myself juggling those same weights, or create a persona of myself that can. That's called "being an idiot/weak/unable to handle the truth".

Being without love(And Bernkastel was obviously lying when she said that - just watch any of her conversations with Lambdadelta, especially in Cross) in the Ryukishi sense is actually a positive trait. Erika's boyfriend WAS cheating on her, Yasu was stuck in a twisted and deformed body incapable of love(and deluding herself when trying to have a relationship with George), etc etc. "Love" makes you see things that aren't there - it is a bad thing to be full of that particular brand of love.
I hate to take Ryukishi's side on this, but....you don't seem to understand what Ryukishi's definition actually is.

It's not exactly about deluding yourself or playing pretend; it's about seeing another person in a better light because of what they mean to you. It's the difference between "Eva is a total bitch" and "Wait a minute, Eva's only being so nasty because she's in so much pain and I keep twisting the knife."

Entities like Yasu, however, are essentially case studies into how this can go wrong, because Ryukishi is cynical enough to see black and white in everything.

Quote:
I mean, if you can actually DO something about a negative situation, then that's obviously preferable to just pretending that you aren't in one. But in, say, Ange's case in St Lucia, where there was really nothing she could do about the sad state of her life, wasn't it a good thing that she had Maria and her other imaginary friends to give her a bit of happiness in her otherwise unenviable circumstances?
Bitch could've studied instead of playing pretend.

Quote:
The impression that Yasu left me with was that of a person that was overly concerned about her own tragedy to empathize with other people's situations.
Just like Shinji.

EVA ANGE LION. The truth is out there!

Quote:
Although I think Renall proposes a false dichotomy when he says this can only mean Genius Battler or Incompetent Battler, since I think Erika's move to kill the fakers in EP6 was retroactive, thus at no point were the fakers dead without Battler knowing.
Technically, Erika was never given permission to retroactively kill anyone. She was given permission to place seals, and AFTER ENTERING BATTLER'S ROOM, they were able to make "timeless" moves or whatever. But at no point was she given the authority to kill people backwards in time, even implicitly. She went into that room having already killed them and planned to use that against him.

Quote:
I mean, she mentions that Krauss once broke a toy of hers and smacked her hard enough to draw blood, and it's just like, godDAMN Krauss is at least twenty years older than her, man.
I never picked up on that.

Holy shit Krauss, what the flipping fuck?