View Single Post
Old 2013-03-06, 08:22   Link #19
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -KarumA- View Post
I think that with the strive to improve gaming on hardware and with new software to run it specially if it is a pc-exclusive that it would be even more work to adjust it to Linux. I always felt Linux sort of stayed behind in development compared to other platforms. I don't even know if it can run the latest directX properly. Personally putting the blame on gaming companies is easy but the OS itself requires a lot of work from their side as well. Hence why I never discuss things with Linux users in general, they constantly point the finger at others.. Don't get me wrong Linux has good points but sometimes the community is just as hard as a shell.
Linux is not behind, it is far from that, you could even say in front.
As for the DirectX, Linux uses OpenGL, which can be even better with a good booster. It depends on your Hardware from there on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
No matter the size of the company, it still takes some work. If a company doesn't think a Linux release is worth the effort/time/resource, it just won't do it. Fairness has nothing to do with it in most cases.
We are actually arguing around the word "Fair", but we mean the same. Maybe I should have used one other word there.
Anyhow, the companies think that overall, the product sold would not profit the time, effort and money they put in, just to make the game run on Linux. You're right, the word that would fit better is that a company has to be "generous" enough to make a MMO run on other platforms. However, I think that it would pay off, but as I said before, there really isn't much we can do. Because is the end, "Money makes the world go around", not generosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
My point, that linux is lacking is a userbase, not that it need more to be better, just that it need more to catch the eye of big developer.
I do not get the part where you said "Catch the eye of by big developer".
Just to keep things clear, you do know that any kind of attempt to sell something that has already been added to the Linux OpenSource, even if you changed it a bit, is illegal, right?
Just saying because your post isn't really clear to me.

Also, there are not many users worldwide that use Linux because unlike Windows and Mac, it is not advertised massively. That is because it's main focus is not selling and profiting, unlike Microsoft's Windows and Apple's Mac, but letting people use an awesome Software for free.

Now, here comes the question. If Linux is so great and free, why does such a low percentage of people use it? Again, because they know almost nothing. They know what an Internet is, but if you ask for their connection speed, they freeze. It would be that much harder for them to find out about Linux if they wouldn't be interested and wouldn't have that aim and excitement or be introduced to it.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-03-06 at 21:14. Reason: Please use the "edit" button to add content to your post instead of double/triple posting.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote