View Single Post
Old 2011-01-01, 12:24   Link #5682
Xander

Don't worry, there are many different ways to interpret almost everything in Code Geass. Coming to an universal agreement isn't necessary.

I don't think one point of view is automatically more "flawed" than the other as long as they are both based on the original source material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul120 View Post
Actually Suzaku didn't want to kill Lelouch. He sensed he had been lying about doing what he did to Euphie on purpose.
I don't think this is something we can present as some sort of static state of mind though, particularly because the show itself clearly didn't.

There was actually a lot of internal tension within Suzaku. He had different attitudes and impulses at various points in the story, all the way from the Suzaku who justified killing his father to the Suzaku who thought he needed to make up for it by choosing the right path and the Suzaku who thought Lelouch should not exist in this world after the murder of Euphemia.

And that's without even going into what happened in R2. Suzaku doesn't just betray people, you could argue he also contradicts himself because of those personality changes and his various impulses. This is something that, I feel, must be taken into account instead of simply stating Suzaku didn't want to kill Lelouch.

Suzaku didn't want to kill Lelouch around the time of, say, Turn 17 because he did feel his friend was lying then and there. This is true.

However, taking into consideration what happened afterwards and Suzaku's own change in attitude after Turn 18...it cannot be said this was his stance by time they joined forces in Turn 21. In fact, that a part of Suzaku still held a grudge against Lelouch for the crime of killing Euphemia was made clear by the brief exchange they had after stopping the Ragnarok Connection. The issue was still on his mind.

After they came to an (off-screen) understanding, the situation turned out to be rather ironic: Suzaku and Lelouch became friends again, but he still agreed with the need to carry out the Zero Requiem...which is a plan that includes Lelouch's death as its central element. This is also why I consider it to be the result of a negative reconciliation between two broken individuals as opposed to a truly constructive outcome, at least from a certain perspective.

Therefore, concluding that in a way Zero Requiem did bring a sense of finality to Suzaku's own internal dilemma, including his conflicting feelings about killing Lelouch or not, is an entirely warranted interpretation. It's certainly not the only possible one, however, but that depends on how we choose to look at all of this.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote