Thread: Licensed Negima Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2004-05-14, 22:44   Link #86
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
I also find it funny how everytime a character in a manga or an anime just happens to be less than 14 or 12 years old and is surrounded by older people, they immediately label the work as pedo bait.
I was replying to this. The post that infered the main characters were 14. Since the kid's obviously not, I assumed it was a mis-reference, and was intended to talk about the influx of little girls in the series surrounded by adults (which they aren't).

And no. Giving an entire class a unique background does not a good manga make. It just means that he doesn't give each character very much background. Hell, if 30 characters have had their entire backstory told in 1 year of manga, then you're talking about the worst manga ever written, even if the backgrounds are consistent with the character (which is all you have to do to make it 'effective'). And from what I've read, there hasn't been any character history period, which leaves a whole hell of a lot to do in 3 volumes (the chapters I've read had the beginning (first like 5 or 6), some weird underground library or some crap like that, and then some PE class where their clothes fell off, and after that I just skipped by it in the weeklies).

And why do I come in these threads? It certainly can't be because I read this crap. I read a little of just about everything and all of what I like. Normally what I like and what's popular coincides, and I look thoroughly into it when it doesn't. "Why do people enjoy this pedophile manga?" "Why do people read something that has a story that is swayed by availability of panty shots?". And I can't find the answer. So I come into threads like this and don't recieve answers. I get lots of "the characters are good", but there's no way that 30 characters can be introduced in 4 volumes of manga and have them be good. You can introduce 30 characters and have them recurring but unexplained, but characters like that aren't good, they're just fluff characters to fill out the environment. Then comes the "It's not pedophile manga", but the only reason he made it a middle school class is so he could have characters that fit into the loli-con classification without giving them some special background to make them fit in with a highschool class.

The fact is, I don't want some "this manga rules" statement, I want to know, honestly, why the fuck anyone likes this. If people would just admit "I like seeing little girls in skimpy outfits and taking baths" then I'd drop the entire thing. Instead I get this crap explaination everywhere I go. It's a harem manga. An absurd harem manga. If anyone else did it, it'd be laughed off the news stands. But this one was by the Love Hina guy (yet another manga I don't understand the popularity to, yet was long ago written off as a slapstick fanservice work, so I didn't care). It sold in the top 10 for volume 1, before anyone even knew what the hell it was.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote