View Single Post
Old 2007-05-16, 02:59   Link #13
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jianfish View Post
I haven heard of such things yet so I can say I am surprised.
Alright, the Singapore govt have been forced to start waving the stick at us by all those RIAA and groupies but Anime is still far off from being targeted. Much less Fansubs which are not licensed.

Maybe my government is keeping something from me (I won't be surprised), but unless you can show me some links or sources, I have a hard time believing it.
I just have to make it clear, my post has nothing directly related to political or legal actions to be taken by Singapore. I had even made the point that currently I am not convinced this is to happen for certain.

The point was, I am claiming if this IS happening, the best time to gather data would be right now, before crackdown happens. And that it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for a study of this nature. It would be too late to get sales data if people are already being arrested and affecting the market.

And as many point out, there is still a very good chance this planned crackdown is either just hot air or unenforceable. That's why my focus on this thread is merely discussion on how to take advantage of a theoretical "flawless" crackdown.

Back on topic, there is a very easy way in distinguishing the differences between a genuine DVD sales drop from less fansub advertising instead of disgruntled fans boycotting; just collect data over a long period of time. Boycotts can't last forever, so eventually any angry fan will either start buying again or get out of anime altogether. If DVD sales goes down and stays down compared to other countries nearby, then one can say with some confidence the ban of fansubs harmed the sales of legit anime DVDs.