View Single Post
Old 2007-05-17, 23:21   Link #188
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meophist View Post
dkellis, I enjoy the characters of your team, though I'm not sure how well they're work together.

In any case, I don't know much, but reading the names:
de Lorian… Doesn't the car in Back to the Future have a similar name?
Rancer… I can't help but read this as "Lancer". "Rancer" doesn't compute well in my brain.
Astra… I have a feeling I've heard this before, but I can't remember from where.
Nova Alto… Aren't these both names of cars?
They work rather poorly together. Just about the only reason why they're in the same unit is because they're the only ones who can stand each other for extended periods of time.

de Lorien = DeLorean, and yes, it's the car from BTTF.

Rancer = Yeah, I took the "Lancer" and Engrished it. The LaSalle is also a car reference, from General Motors, if I remember correctly.

Astra = I took it from the name of a car, the Opel Astra, although I think there are others with the same name. It's a fairly common term, meaning "star" or something ("ad astra" = "to the stars"). There's also a car called the Toyota Reiz.

Nova/Alto = Both popular names for cars, with two or more cars sharing the name.

My automobile knowledge is severely lacking. I just went to Wikipedia and searched for major car manufacturers (Toyota, Honda) and followed links from there.