View Single Post
Old 2007-10-02, 08:56   Link #241
Flar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I mean, looking at how pissed off Regius is, it's like for every Zest in GF, there is another 10 for the Navy/HQ. Well, I don't see them. Then again, maybe they were comfortably stationed, one to 2 SS-rank each in those fleet of XV class ships...
This is one of the many inconsistency in the Nanohaverse, on multiple levels, if you think about it.

I mean, both manga and anime made clear that rank isn't everything. In the manga we see Fate and Nanoha losing to lower ranked mages (Chrono and the headmaster), in the anime we get a lot of fights where the theoretical strongest loses (Fate, Signum, Vita, Reinforce) and StrikerS stresses that by introducing the strikers/aces categories, where strikers are not strong but are skilled and experienced and thus capable of winning over stronger foes.

So... Why would Regius, or anyone, want a SS mage so bad? A highly trained special corp of A or even B mages would be much more efficient and flexible. That's the basic idea behind the numbers who, individually, are really weak one-trick ponies, but can be a threat with their skills, as a team.

On the opposite, it seems to me that it is better for SS mages to become solo investigators on the outskirts of the empire, or to be concentrated in one elite squad (What RF6 should have been) to deal with space-time big threats, not to be used for police work. Teaming SS with A or B would slow down the SS and put the lower rank in danger, due to the difference in tactics involved. Mobility, attack or defense are just not compatible. You don't team a tank or a copter with a F14.

Also, about Inherent Skills, aren't they just what each cyborg is skilled at doing with his inner cyborg energy? It's not as if it could not be replicated with linker core energy, which Subaru proves with Wing Road. AMFs are pretty remarkable in that they can block some magic energy emission but not all, speaking about that.

Considering that, if there was any war brewing, or if I was in charge of building an elite unit, I would look into mages who can use magic under AMF conditions, and who are trained well enough not to be one trick ponies like the numbers. If the numbers could have used simple binds, transference magic, or ranged magic, while still specializing in whatever their IS is, they would have been deadly. Just drop a magic nullification field on the target with your team and the enemy mages are done for.