View Single Post
Old 2011-04-18, 05:15   Link #814
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Okay... uh... first thing's first, I'd be lying if I didn't say that this episode was hilarious at times, and cheesily touching near the end. That said, this really isn't the radical direction shifting I'd have wanted this early in the run. It would be more acceptable and believable maybe a few more episodes in, but having it this early makes the contrast to the previous two episodes a bit jarring.

On the other hand, the episode does manage to prove to me that even if the internal consistency of the episode started to break apart at the seams, a very well written and well characterized main character can prop up the show on their shoulders. While this was practically silly by all accounts considering what the first two episodes showed, Ohana's oddball mix of youthful audacity and her slightly jaded world view managed to save it and show the consistency of her character while everyone else was getting slapped silly by the idiot stick. I think the episode managed to show how much the show will likely be a character driven one as opposed to a plot driven one, and such shows can only succeed if the main character can carry themselves and the rest of the cast no matter what quality of writing the episodes have. From that perspective, this was perhaps an episode that was meant to showcase what Ohana would be capable of no matter what kind of events life throws her way.

For this she was thrown quite the odd pitch, but she managed to hit it out of the park and prove to me why she seems to be more than capable of helming the ship. Again, it makes me affirm my belief that she is perhaps one of the most intriguing and dynamic female characters of recent years, strong enough to carry a show when it is needed.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote