View Single Post
Old 2008-12-30, 15:43   Link #31
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLney View Post
That's why we have Ipod.

You don't have to listen to them at all. However, if their volume surpasses your ipod's, you will have every right to shut them up, legally
The problem isn't them saying something I don't want to hear. I can, indeed, just ignore them. The problem is them saying something my neighbors like a little too much.

The issue of Freedom of Speech is not reduced to the unpleasantness of hearing contrary opinions. Ideas move men. That's what make speech such a powerful tool, and thus a dangerous one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
But you do not have the right to think for them. If they go apeshit because of some guy with a really good tongue, it's their problem. They are the ones looking like tools, not you. However, it's a different matter if property is vandalized. That needs an entirely new discussion.
I'm pretty sure that if they blow up a subway I'm riding in, it's my problem too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeedFreedom View Post
In my opinion, hate speech is much more devastating than yelling fire in a theater. Worst that happens if everyone gets freaked out and waste everyone's (including firefighters) time and money, but nobody is hurt. Money can always be repaid, lives cannot.
I take it you've never been trampled by a panicked crowd.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote