Thread: Licensed Fruits Basket Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2014-04-27, 16:00   Link #118
Hazou
Immortal Flames

See, I am probably the only person who likes Akito as a male.

Here are the reasons and it isn't for sexist reasons. I would have happily and gladly accepted Akito being female if it was done in two ways just a bit better. I think I stopped reading the manga when they revealed Akito as female.

The reason I like the anime adptation of Akito better than the manga OC of female is the way the stories work.

I find the story of someone suffering from a terminal illness they have no control over, someone struggling over accepting their own death, and someone struggling over the isolation of people far more intriguing than a jealous woman who doesn't want people to leave her alone.

Akito in the anime was a far more interesting character as a male. Because it wasn't about his love for his family members. The rest of the Zodiacs had freedom, no matter what, even though Akito bullied them put them in their place, and hurt them. They still had freedom.

They did not have the pressure of running a family, they did not have the pressure of knowing when they were going to die. He was frustrated and angry, and could not control the events around him. He had no choice.

Akito in the manga, as a female. Was basically abused by her mother that people would leave her, and she tried to deny it. It was more about her being alone and feeling jealous that people adored Tohru. Is basically how I sum it up.

One is more interesting than the other.

And I much prefer a story that doesn't tie into the whole love side of the story, instead its a well rounded and more developed character who ties himself into a love story.

I much prefer an exploration of the human psyche as one goes through illness, depression, loneliness, and the acceptance of ones death.

Over female who was abused and jealous of other peoples love because they'll take the people she loves away.

Burn strongly and freely, my immortal flames.
Hazou is offline   Reply With Quote