View Single Post
Old 2006-10-21, 17:05   Link #1002
Keisuke-kun
Dread Lord

Send a message via MSN to Keisuke-kun
Urgent Notes

I'm currently considering the complete removal of the processing and encoding aspect of this. The system required would be too complex, and would probably provide little to no gain over the existing group setups.

For now, I'll focus on the distribution aspect - which is the main thing I was going for anyway.

So, ignore the processing aspect of this - and focus on distribution. !

Senshi Media

#senshi @ irc.rizon.net

I'm currently in the process of developing the backend for a "global" distribution and processing system. Our remote servers would handle the conversion and encoding of a video file, and then mirror the completed file to our entire server array - making it available for distribution via a number of methods.

Don't understand what I'm saying? I guess it's kind of hard to explain.

A fansub group would upload a video file, processing script and subtitle file e.t.c to the master processing server. This file would then enter a queue. Once it reaches the top of the queue, it would be sent to one of the sub-servers to be encoded for final distribution.

Upon completition of this process, the completed file is mirrored between the distribution server array. Once the user decides to make the file available via the online control panel, the file is immediately available for distribution via the following methods.

Please a note, a user can simply upload a completed video file for instant distribution.

BitTorrent: Upload a .torrent file to link to this video, and it will begin seeding immediately.

FTP/HTTP: Generic distribution, I don't think I need to explain.

Streaming: Currently only available online via the .FLV format (similar to Youtube), we intend to utilize Helix Server at some point in the future.

XDCC: Have it added instantly to the central Senshi bot, or request a dedicated bot for your channel (automatic, takes roughly 60 minutes).

This service will be free, although speeds will be restricted to 10MBIT per file. Donators will have access to higher speed limits. Donators will also be able to "jump" the queue ahead of non-donators on the processing side.

So, what am I looking for?

Well, I'm currently paying $1335 a month for Mitsuki and Haruka, and roughly £490 a month for Haruka and Kaede. I cannot afford to do much more beyond this.

What I'm looking for, are distribution and processing mirrors.

Requirements

Distribution
Minimum of a 10MBIT commit, preferably higher if shared. Stability is essential.

Processing
Minimum of a 1GHZ machine, preferably unloaded for obvious reasons. SSH access and the ability to compile will be essential.

If anyone wants more information, or is a little confused - you can contact me on IRC via the nickname "Keisuke".

Notes: Haruka and Kaede are currently down, these are colocated machines that I have had returned to fully upgrade before making them live.

Notes 2: Before the project goes live, we can provide standard distribution assistance, current help is shown via http://pacifica.senshimedia.net/xdcc/

Notes 3: I've had some advice to replace the processing aspect with something else, albeit I'm not sure what. Remember, this is still in the planning and development stages, although part of the distribution aspect is currently available - it's the first part I intend to release. If anyone has ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS PROJECT - please tell me them!

Notes 4: I'm looking for eight fansub groups in need of assistance to take part in an early beta of the distribution aspect of this project, please contact me via PM or on IRC.

Last edited by Keisuke-kun; 2006-10-22 at 07:47. Reason: Added "Notes 3" / Added "Notes 4"