View Single Post
Old 2008-10-28, 12:13   Link #48
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
What I get from this is Linux will never ever be viable as a desktop in a corporate environment from a medium to large scale business, particularly those using in house proprietary software. THe lack of focus results in a scattershot approach, which makes it extremely difficult for businesses.

As I said what choice is there really? Every high school graduate since the early to mid 90's has had significant exposure to Windows. OSX/Linux to date is good for 10% of the world's users combined. Where is the readily available talent pool? Where is the certifications? Anyone at this stage can say "oh yeah I know how to use Linux" but how do you prove it? SUn and Novell have certificate courses but not for the mainstream., which are rare as hen's teeth to begin with as well.

You can have the best product in then world but with no infrastructure, no/limited qualified users then it's just a white elephant.

Case in point look at the Linux server market share vs the desktop marketshare. The server market has infrastructure, qualified staff to keep it going and really make full use of the potential (last look 20-30% market share). Desktop = 0 infrastructure (and no an internet forum doesn't count)= 1 % marketshare. This is where I feel Linux is failing horribly. It all starts in schools. Kids are forced to learn Windows. Adults/kids choose to learn Linux. The product can be competitive. It doesn't have to be perfect (When was a MS product perfect out of the box?). It's too much to ask the 1% to go out and spread the word and teach people to use the o/s. And anyone saying there is no learning curve or it isn't steep is lying. It takes effort, commitment and an interest. For the vast majority of people, adults in particular - learning an operating system in their spare time doesn't even register in the top 1000 things they'd use their spare time for. Particularly when they've been indoctrinated from an early age.
Doesn't OSS rule the roost in terms of Hollywood in terms of CGI?

Also there are 5 countries that are heavily investing in OSS for their infrastructure and with the credit crunch hitting home hard, this might be the thing that pushes people to save the additional pennies that a MS or Apple system would cost them.