View Single Post
Old 2012-02-27, 10:18   Link #4617
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Case in point, these divisional "rivalries" are artificial. This is particularly true for some of the "newer rivalries". They only exist because teams were put in the same division. Niners-Seahawks? Once upon a time, the Seahawks were AFC. Remember that?
Sure, some rivalries are artificial, but some aren't. Case in point: AFC North. Steelers and Browns have had a rivalry for decades. When the Browns became the Ravens, a lot of that rivalry came with them. Now that the Ravens and Steelers are constantly competing for the top, that rivalry is intensified into what ESPN (or was it NFL Network... probably NFL Network) claims is the greatest rivalry currently in the NFL. The Steelers and Browns are still rivals, you just don't hear about it much because the Browns suck. And since the Ravens were the former Browns, the Browns are rivals with the Ravens. The only real "outsider" here are the Bengals, but at least they got the in-state thing going with the Browns.

I know the NFC East is similar in terms of rivalry, I just don't know the full history because I don't really care.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote