View Single Post
Old 2010-11-14, 11:01   Link #865
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
But ALL Macross stories are in-universe movies or TV shows: http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/inde...pic=30317&st=0
Well, that doesn't make no sense at all. It just serves to stop all discussion cold, in the vein of "It's all fictional anyway, who cares?". A terrible interpretion from Kawamori, IMO. But of course some people will love it, those who hate the idea of any sort of fixed canon.

*edit* Also, as I just noticed from the post of a strong Sheryl-hater on another blog ( Oh, the irony! ), Kawamori apparently had a change of heart in the last 11 years as to how Macross continuity functions. I refer you to AlaAlbas interview translation from 1 1/2 months ago.

Quote:
I see. So you feel Sheryl is more fit into this shoujo manga world. And how was it after you have read Sheryl, Kiss in the Galaxy. The story is a bit different isnt it.
K: Ahaha, isnt it nice(laugh). It feels like, "aah, this is the kind of shoujo manga I wanted to see." The Sheryl who Oyama-san draw, her high-minded and lovelyness is just all right.
When the medium itself changed, even if it's a same work I think it's okay to see its own arrangement. To be frank, I wont mind even if they are all parallel world. Hence the setting of TV serie's and movie's is a bit different, and the stories are a bit different too.
Of course, also in manga version, even if the thing drawn were the same work, I think it's okay to see a different way of description. So thats why, in this manga, in chapter 1(stage 0) the story starts of from Galaxy, a part we didnt do in TV version, as a reader I can enjoy this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Anyway, Swampy didn't QUITE get what I meant... Simply put, don't worry about continuity and just enjoy the ride. One will get fewer sticks up one's ass that way.

More Sheryl, more Alto, more Ranka, more Valkyrie action...only a total curmudgeon would complain.
I am not complaining per se, only categorizing how much I like one product over the other and that I don't view them as the same continuity. The movie is fine. It's just not the same quality as the series to me.

Last edited by magnuskn; 2010-11-14 at 13:53. Reason: Added Kawamori quote on continuity
magnuskn is offline   Reply With Quote