View Single Post
Old 2011-12-27, 03:56   Link #153
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Operating expenses for 2006-2010 for netflix is roughly 25.5% of the revenue, excluding taxes, dividends, COGS, etc.

Net income is around 6.42% of total revenue.

Though what I find fishy is that the cost of goods sold accounts for 64.3% of the total revenue earned, I wonder if some creative accounting is involved so they could pay a little extra to the bosses who negotiated the licenses to redistribute the content.

Btw, note that the article mentioned "revenue", not "income", meaning which costs and taxes and equity payouts are not factored in. I would like to see their financials if they have the guts to claim profit is made.
AnimeNewsNetwork article used both "profit" and "revenue". Crunchyroll spokesman said "meaningful revenue", while story intro says "generating profit". I'm more inclined to believe what the spokesman said, as plenty of reporters are ignorant about the difference between profit and revenue.

Bear in mind that different terminologies are used in British and American accounting conventions. In Singapore, for example, "earnings" is often used synonymously with "revenue" but, in the United States, "earnings" means "profit". Confusion ensues.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote