View Single Post
Old 2012-02-18, 21:40   Link #4
yourfriendrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
take for example this quote from George Bernard Shaw :
Quote:
Quote:
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Is that really true? Or is it applied to how language is constantly twisted and invented by modern media to draw attention, or is language naturally flexible to draw attention to issues?

And do new terms become cliches faster, or are they cliches-to-be in the first place?
1. Yes, GBS was right.
2. Language is naturally flexible, but it is twisted by deceivers. The key phenomenon is called "conflict of interest." When someone has a vested interest that impels him to twist language, the resulting misinformation usually harms the community.
3. "Do new terms become cliches faster" is ambiguous. I assume you meant, "Do new terms become cliches faster now than they used to 100 years ago?" or something like that. I don't know, and I think the cliche issue is not central to your problem.
4. How do we use words ethically? Tell the truth. Whenever possible, tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

And furthermore, since truth often angers people, tell the truth quickly and then run away.
yourfriendrick is offline   Reply With Quote