View Single Post
Old 2007-03-06, 19:15   Link #24
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

@ Epyon9283
> "The command prompt is NOT prehistoric. If you're averse to using it then Linux isn't for you."
Ohh.. WHAT IS IT THEN?!!!
I think it is, quite simply because it's balky and most commands are in latin alien as far as normal people are concern.

I don't have any problem using it, yes it is fast and efficient if you're one to dump all sorts of files in a disorganized fashion on your hdd(s) but, honestly.. consider the time it takes to learn the so-so stupid commands and how fast people are likely to forget them, not to mention how often they might need to use them...

From my POV the console in linux is it's trump card and biggest fukin' flaw. Besides the fact it drives away everyone that's not in touch with their over-zealous inner-geek, and looks like a damn error display, it provides a cheap excuse for people to skip any user-friendly implementations and just rip pieces of words from the dictionary and stick them together afterwards calling them `commands`

Honestly there are countless ways the thing could be improved.. or it's general usage could be skipped.. but meh. Tradition I guess..
-----

Also as far as the increased productivity argument goes,
  1. There are, for example little shortcuts in windows like the WinKey + E for explorer, or the WinKey + R for Run and other associated little things here and there that would generally make your experience more 'productive'.. a little But I doubt most even know of them. The basic thing is this, people that are concern with things like efficiency don't have such a messy hard drive that they would save any time by chaining commands on the console to do specific tasks. In fact it really is a stupid use for it if your not doing anything of high level administrative nature.
  2. It's probably... no not "probably" I know it for a fact that it's harder to teach them to handle the command line then it is to teach them every tiny tedious programing do-thingy. Maybe it doesn't make logical sense but I've seen time and time again people fail at it, and I don't blame them, years and years and nobody has even bothered to make it friendly just a little more, like starting a little extra thread to offer some aid with the commands would kill the system or something. Actually translating them from star-treck to mortal intuitive language would be better... probably.

@ SeijiSensei
> "Unix shell languages offer a rich command and programming environment that's simply unknown in the Windows world. I've written one-line commands to accomplish tasks in a few moments that would take a lot longer to accomplish if I had to use GUI tools. (For example, sort a list of 35,000 email addresses by domain after removing certain domains and removing any duplicated addresses. One line in Linux, took a couple of seconds to execute. My client would have used Excel and taken half an hour.)"
Lack of any sort of filter system, and hours of learning the "the rich command and programming environment that's simply unknown in the Windows world" doesn't sound so good. As far as I'm concern if your willing enough to learn some command and need it so often why don't you just make a program then run it in windows from the command line, it ain't that hard to do, you can have all the little bits you want with them.

But getting to the point, rich programing languages are for programmers not users. Making a OS dependent on such skills and aiming it at a product for the masses is just ignorance.

@ Ledgem

Wow this sure is becoming a trend lately.
Why is it that if "Vista is totally disappointing" suddenly Xp with ought changing a tiny bit "becomes just as disappointing" And why is it that since MS releases some retarded os you want to stop using all your windows only programs etc. which you sound like you are dependent on and want to convert to Linux and say welcome to a hole host of head aches and iches.

No offense intended, but I just had to ask, your logic makes no sense. I have to use Linux and know all the idiotic garbage built into Linux and it's distributions and I don't get all the enthusiasm people have to switching to it. Sure it is technicality faster in percentage terms, but that really equals a few seconds over a day which doesn't account for all the trouble you face with it for every little thing. and it's lack of polish.

Well good luck anyways
-----

Oh yeah forgot, advise...
Killing your windows partition is always a BAD idea.
Unless you don't have a choice leave your current system alone.
Since you asked the questions you asked.. more reason to leave it so.

Post Scriptum

If your used to Ms Office, and I mean use it
for useful things etc etc. OO.o might really
feel like crap.

It's good as an alternative but not something
to act as a replacement.

Best of luck..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Given Windows Vista's lack of appeal to me, I've been considering switching to Linux realistically. There are a few setbacks that I'd face; however, for the most part all of the programs I use heavily are available on Linux (Opera, GAIM) or have equivalents (OpenOffice).