View Single Post
Old 2012-08-29, 00:59   Link #11
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
There are good points but there's something that people dont' seem to realize.

Everybody is different. Just because it works in one doesn't mean it would necessarily work for the other.

Generally speaking, many countries became powerful through democracy and such. Many countries tried doing the same thing but ended getting screwed. China for example became powerful by not following democracy. Why? Because the culture and people are different (And no I am not going to get into an argument about that, I was using it as an example)

Opium was a drug that the English forced upon the Chinese and this resulted in mass addictions and loss of money and even led to 2 wars. When Opium started to spread to the US and other places the governments there immediately clamped down on it before it got out of control are were successful in dealing with it.

Why are the drug cartels super powerful in Mexico but the same has not been seen in other countries around the world? Some areas have even more severe punishments than what the US dishes out.

I recall being in Amsterdam where you could easily go and get yourself high with cannabis but after many years the people are fed up with it to the point that they are now closing those shops down (not all for the record). Stuff like the Red Light district simply wasn't working because the criminals adapted and took advantage of those things.

IMO being proactive and working with the kids to keep them from going to drugs in the first place would be a lot more effective. That and doing a better job in rehabilitation by getting people that are addicted to drugs off of them. IMO governments would rather deal with the after results instead of focusing on dealing with it before it becomes a problem. Wouldn't solve it completely but it could help minimize it.

I don't drink or do drugs because my parents raised me well and my teachers acted as good role models.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote