Thread: Spore
View Single Post
Old 2008-05-09, 14:30   Link #22
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonix View Post
From what I've heard it will try to check with 5 days left in the 10 day window (I'm not sure if the game has to be run to do the check or it dials home on it's own without the need for the game to be running) but if it can't contact the server after the 10 day's are up then the game will lock and can't be played until a re-check can be done before the game will work again.
Yep, that's what I've read, too. That's a sort of safety window, then; it really checks every five days, and then there's a five-day grace period before it locks up if contact can't be made. I'd imagine that the game has to be running. If it does its check separately then that'd remove some of the fears of what would happen if you don't play the game for 11 days.

I think that'd be another storm in itself, though. The last thing I want is having some piece of software that offers no benefit to me running at all times, sapping some system resources and using my net connection. Would it take a ton of resources or a lot of bandwidth? Probably not, but anyone who uses that as an excuse for why such a thing should be OK probably isn't thinking beyond this single game. What if it becomes a standard scheme for games and I have a ton of games installed? It probably still wouldn't amount to massive drain, but perhaps we'd be feeling it then. Personally, I'm generally bothered whenever a program is running needlessly. If the game isn't running, I don't want anything related to the game to be running.