Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-07-29, 08:39   Link #8421
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
a extremists is a extremists, if wikileaks don't care enough to cross out names that can get real people murder because of their belief in free speech. Then they are no different form taliban or any nationalist who think a few people getting kill is a small price for national security.
I didn't say I agree with them. I think they went too far, personally, and did more harm to their cause than good.

However I read their action as a matter of principle rather than an attempt at media coup precisely because it is such an unwise action. During the helicopter video incident, they might have earned the ire of the military and the more...patriotic section of the populace, but to the rest of us they were the heroes. The military's legal harassment only strengthened their appearance as brave whistleblowers and muckrakers standing against The Man.

This, however, did not reveal any potentially major miscarriage of justice, but instead may have seriously endangered lives. Even the most enthusiastic of the public that supported them will give pause.

So why did they do something so stupid? That's why I read them as free speech extremists refusing to compromise no matter what. And frankly, while this incident may leave a bad aftertaste, in the long run free speech extremists are a much less terrible bunch than the self-appointed defenders of our national security, who in a sense have been responsible for more losses of life than we could legitimately approximate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo
How the fuck is getting some poor mother fuckers heads cut off fucking admirable?

Watch a video of somebody getting their head cut off and tell me how fucking admirable it is.
You yourself practically demanded the head of one of wikileaks' members in outrage, no? To be sure it's not on the same level as actually leaking such "hot" documents, but I don't think this kind of attitude is acceptable either.

As for the other point see my response above.