View Single Post
Old 2004-01-15, 10:03   Link #4
xris
Just call me Ojisan

As mentioned above, Viz has had the same restriction for a while. In practice all this means is that U.K. comic shops may have to find an alternative route (or method) to order the items. I know the comic shop I order stuff from have mentioned the limitations in the past and have said that it just makes it more difficult to obtain, not impossible but just difficult. Gosh are one of the better retailers so I would fully expect them to still obtain the DH titles because they are sure to be willing to put the extra effort to obtain them for their customers.

If you look at Amazon(.co.uk), they have been offering Viz titles in the U.K. despite the fact that Viz only have the U.S. rights. I suspect what it only means is that Viz / DH can only sell within the U.S. But since they sell to Distributors (who in turn sell to Retailers, who then sell the goods to the public), it doesn't make a lot of difference to them. Viz and DH cannot directly sell outside the U.S. but they do most of their business with the major distributors, not the retailers or the public directly.

If you have a look at the AoD thread, you can see why this has happened. When companies like Viz and DH obtain the English language license, they are only allowed to purchase the U.S. English language rights. It makes business sense to only sell the U.S. rights to U.S. companies since there is a chance they can obtain further license money from U.K. and Austrailian (etc.) publishers. The same applies to DVDs I'm sure.