View Single Post
Old 2012-05-16, 20:35   Link #37
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Since we have roughly reached mid-season, I thought I would update this thread to reflect that time. Here are my initial impressions of the season, put under spoiler tags for space purposes.

Spoiler for Early Spring 2012 thoughts:

I decided to put them in alphabetical order - it does not reflect my "order of preference" for each section, though.

A List (i.e. actively following with interest):

Acchi Kocchi - light hearted adorable fluff; this series REALLY makes me laugh. It's been a while since I have been able to laugh so much at a series as I do with this one. I find myself really liking the charas, and the dynamic reminds me of the humor dynamic that the girls in K-On were able to pull off so effectively.

Bodacious Space Pirates - carryover - continues to be absolutely stunning imo. Extremely solid in every way, shape and form for me. I love the pace, the charas, the BGM, the beautoful BG animation, the storyline, everything. However, it is interesting that it does not "excite" me as much as, say, Hyouka does.

Hyouka - I was expecting Hyouka to be good, and admittedly we are only up to ep 4 as I am writing this, but it is no exaggeration when I say that I have come to love everything about this series. I expected this one to be in the B or C category for me, but it has floored me. Out of all the series airing this season this is the only one I have eagerly looked forward to since ep 1 aired.

Nazo no Kanojo X - an outright brilliant adaptation imo, and in some ways it is even better than the manga. That's quite a feat in my book....

Sakamichi no Apollon - This was my fave series of the season before Hyouka came along. An absolutely beautiful OP and ED, and if I enjoyed Jazz music in general I think I would be drooling all over this one. The storyline is realistic, convincingly acted and beautifully drawn - even touching.

Saki Achiga-Hen - a big Saki fan (both manga and anime) and also reading the Achiga-Hen manga before and while the series is airing. Another really good adaptation here. Just well done for me.

B List (i.e. actively following):

Accel World - prolly the biggest surprise for me this season; a really solid show. I have even come to accept the main chara and not be bothered by how he is portrayed. The story really grabs me with this one.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - continued absolute nonsense with no pretensions whatsoever. Part of me is impressed that they have managed to keep such a break-neck pace up to now.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - a big surprise of the season for me. The manga is way, way better imo, but even so the producers of this one have done a very good adaptation. The ED is lovely.

Uchuu Kyodai - really solid material; now if only astronauts were more interesting to me....

C List (i.e. following, but mildly interested):

Furusato Saisei Nippon no Mukashibanashi - this is definitely "pleasant viewing", as I like folktales in general, and feel that the time they take for each tale (about 7-8 minutes or so) is just about right. A really enjoyable ED.

Kuromaju-san ga Tooru - another "short" (although this one is 7 minutes long) that I find endearing. It could prolly me a lot better if given a full 12 ep treatment, and somehow I feel it has the potential to be an interesting story premise if properly utilized. Not sure why I think that though.

Recorder to Randoseru Re - well, I liked season 1. Season 2 is more of the same. Nuff said.

Shirokuma Cafe - this is definitely slice of life comedy and is very well done imo. If I cared about the charas more I would prolly roar with laughter at each ep, but somehow while I do like them it is more of a "just like" as opposed (for example) to really liking the charas of Acchi Kocchi. The OP is well done imo.

Yurumates 3D - a sweet "short" of lighthearted humor.

Still on trial watch list:

AKB0048 - this series is ... odd. I kinda like it despite all it's awkwardness, but I am still not "sold" on it for whatever reason.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka of the Dead - the way the season is going with this one I would not be surprised if it sat here right up to the end.

Tsuritama - ep 5 was the last ep I was going to try out, and it is a good thing, b/c I was ready to drop this one. EP 5 convinced me to continue giving it a chance. ED is nice, I guess.

Tried out and not interested: Ozuma, Medaka Box, Sengoku Collection, Upotte, Sankarea, Zetman, Jormangund, Natsuiro Kiseki, Shiawase no Pan, Gakkatsu.

Older series still being subbed: Hyouge Mono, Showa Monogatari.

Last edited by Flower; 2012-05-17 at 16:30. Reason: fixing a few typos
Flower is offline   Reply With Quote