View Single Post
Old 2007-08-24, 15:14   Link #118
Claymore_Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calawain View Post
Many times when I'm watching anime I am a bit jealous as to the Japanese club system in their schools. Growing up in schools here in the States, there were clubs but there were very few of them, never had anything close to resembling daily activities, and few people joined them. I wish there was more active and varied clubs when I was in high school, would have given me something to do after school.
I have mixed feelings about this... I often think "oh, I wish there were manga school clubs here too... I could have met many friends with similar interests when I went to school" but...

from what I have seen in anime or manga, people joining anime or manga club are heavily discriminated by other students, girls, etc just on the basis that they are member of that club.
I know it's a fact, but I can't understand why this happens...

A really hardcore japanese otaku who watches anime all day and spends loads of money in Akiba isn't different from, say, an european soccer fanatic who watches his team's official TV channel all day and spends thousands of euro to see his team playing all across Europe... but the sports fanatic is usually considered somehow better

I don't really see the difference between them... it's a total passion, a radical lifestyle which can affect social life, but in no way one is worse than the other...

About the mosquito killing method ^^
I guess the major flaw of this method is that... you usually notice the bite after the mosquito has just gone away

I had heard of that as an old urban legend.
Our local version was only about the mosquito being trapped by the muscle, but not exploding.

However, this article says that a mosquito can explode under some circustances (not related to the muscle flexing, though)

For those really interested, it's eplained under the paragraph "how mosquitoes bite":
http://www.homestead.com/ipmofalaska...osquitoes.html