View Single Post
Old 2008-06-07, 01:40   Link #934
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
@ this "oh hi i gonna turn nanoha into naruto-like shonen" debacle.

There's only one thing I can really say to that analysis, Sheba.

Alright, news flash guys. Not everyone here was particularly impressed by the addition of the TSAB to Nanoha. Some of us are old school magical girl fans who thought S1 was perfectly awesome when it was just Nanoha, Yuuno, Fate and Precia without any of this military bullshit thrown in to the mixture. The TSAB added nothing of interest to the story until the Wolkenritter showed up and the bureau was nice enough to add the cartridge system to Bardiche and RH.

Just for a reference point, I'm one of those guys who thought Sailor Moon was the greatest anime ever until I ran into Nanoha. I do not want, nor do I need, an epic Da Vinci Code-esque plot with political intrigue and all that inane bullshit. Good old-fashioned good vs evil works just fine with the right twists thrown in.

Quote:
Now, let's put yourself in Regius' shoes.
Let's not. Some characters just don't deserve development.

Quote:
But hey, you seem to hate the nanoha male cast for some reason
No, Sheba, I am simply not the least bit impressed by any of them, not even Chrono.

Quote:
By conveniently taking the TSAB and it politics out of the picture, you are taking away potential plotlines that are about as interesting than "rawr i r cthuluh/the borgs/arioch of the chaos/freeza and i shall destroy the universe to impress my dad and the audience!"

PS: And yes, you can have drama from stupid bureaucracy and morally questionnable orders! Believe it!
You can also get drama out of a "stupid" good old fashioned good vs evil plot. Now extensive usage of the military bureaucracy in a fanfic appeals to me about as much as swimming in a pool full of scissors, but ATC managed to convince me in IRC that it's going to be necessary at some point, so I'll likely have to distort canon during the timeskip to get this to work, but you mark my words, I will find a feasible way to put the Aces out of the reach of the bureaucracy, even if I have to tear the whole goddamn bureau down brick by brick.

Bureau Command Structure, brace for orbital bombardment.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote