View Single Post
Old 2010-04-18, 16:45   Link #12
Vicious108

Well that was just beautiful. I was annoyed by last weeks' preview when I saw they were reusing animation for Envy's transformation, but the new and godly animation in the second half of this episode more than made up for it.

But yeah, even though the first 8 minutes or so were kinda dull (though that's probably because I was watching the raw and didn't really remember from the manga what all that chatter was all about), the rest of the episode totally had me on the edge of my seat.

The Envy reveal was even more awesome than in the manga. I remember that I'd always thought Roy would find out the truth through someone else, never did I expect that the very killer would outright say and show how he did the deed AND boast and laugh in the face of the very people who'd want to avenge Hughes the most. quigonkenny is spot on when he says this portion of the manga is just one CMoA after another, and this was definitely Envy's Crowning Moment of Awesome Evil.

Which of course, made the ensueing Roy flamerape even more satisfying. His berserk facial expressions were top tier and every single one of his attacks was just gorgeously animated. The entire battle's atmosphere was perfectly done, and it was just as intense and epic as in the manga.

I definitely agree with Hallad about Miki Shinichirou having done a stellar job (and he should have even more to work with next week!), but I also gotta give Minami Takayama her due credit. Envy's twisted speeches, psychotic laughter, screams of pure suffering, you name it. She delivered them all beautifully.

As for the cliffhanger... it worked well enough, but I'd have prefered to see it end the same way as chapter 94, so it wouldn't break up the action. Of course, what I'd have REALLY prefered was to see the chapter 94 and the first half of 95 in one episode, but I guess that's too much to ask.

Oh and about the Ishval scenes next week, Kirarakim took the words right out of my mouth. But yes, in the end it's a good thing they're not being just plain removed after all.

Can't wait for 54. Hopefully they'll keep up the quality animation, though I'm sure that won't be easy. With back to back episodes with great animation such as this, they'll eventually have to step it down a notch since animation is supposely a pretty expensive business.