View Single Post
Old 2012-03-29, 20:52   Link #48
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. I will keep it in mind.

I haven't read a lot of LN material, but what I have read (mainly the Haurhi novels) I did find to be enjoyable reads. At a literature level, they were actually nice and brisk while still having good depth.
I haven't read Haruhi yet. It's not on my list, but maybe I will. I enjoyed Chrome Shelled Regios (so much more happens past the anime) Zero no Tsukaima (they really butchered it after the first season) and Toradora (the ending was much longer than the anime and felt more complete). I just started Gekkou (has no anime) and it's good so far.

Fate/Zero is on the list after the anime finishes.

Quote:
The relationship between anime and the entertainment forms it usually gets adaptation work off of (manga, LNs, VNs) increasingly interests me. For awhile now, I've had the impression that anime is less an entertainment form unto itself (like the Movie industry in America, say), and more part of an overarching "otaku subculture", is probably the best way I can put it. That subculture would include love of VNs, LNs, manga, and anime (you could perhaps throw in Drama CDs and figurines here; maybe even J-Pop in general). Ore no Imouto was the first anime show to really drive this idea home for me.

We've always had a sort of "General geekdom" in North America, but also clear lines of demarcation between Movies, comic books, video games, and American animated shows (loads of people are fans of one or two of those without being fans of the others). Sure, some types of content ("super heroes", for example) has grown popular in each and every one of these entertainment forms, but there was also quite a bit of distinctiveness between them.

I get the impression that there's a tighter bond and greater overlap between anime, manga, VNs, and LNs.

Again, nothing wrong with that, it's just different from what I'm used to with North American entertainment forms, and so its something that continues to shape and evolve my understanding of anime.
You need to watch anime, read manga, play VNs and read LNs to be a "true fan." I know, it's a poor choice of words but I can't think of anything else at the moment. All adaptations are made, 90% of the time, to promote the source material and so they sometimes get a half-assed adaptation. Luckily some get it for the right reasons, like Kara no Kyoukai and Fate/Zero. While they do help and I think are intended to help the sales of the novels, they sell enough and are popular enough that they don't need an anime to make them popular. The Fate/stay night anime did that.