View Single Post
Old 2009-07-14, 12:15   Link #39
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
I dunno.... considering the string of losses that Luffy's had lately (being seperated from his crew, nearly dying from Magellan's poison, and losing Bon Clay), I'd think that Ace's death would kinda be overkill. However, I'm unsure about Ace deciding to take up the mantle and continue his father's legacy as Pirate King. I mean, it's definitely possible, but he doesn't really seem to be interested in such a grand status.
Well, finding out he's the son of Gol D Roger (plus potential death of Whitebeard) might change his outlook... that's what some of us are suggesting here.

Quote:
It was already implied from his brief flashback in chapter 549 that he simply wanted to live freely. If he becomes king and sits at the top of the world, then he'll have several of the silver medalists clawing at him from the bottom. That doesn't sound like "freedom" to me at all.......
You don't get to be generally recognised as the Pirate King without putting clear water between you and the nearest rivals. Or putting it another way, the vast majority of potential opponents would not even dare to go against you. If you're a "silver medallist" then not only do you have other silver medallists to contend with, but the Pirate King too - and also the up and coming "bronze medallists" to boot.

I'd also point out what Luffy said about the person with the most freedom on the Grand Line is the Pirate King.

Quote:
You know, this actually brings back to mind something I mentioned in a past thread about Ace being the one to take over Whitebeard's crew after the mighty emporer bites the dust. I guess this new twist DOES increase the chances of that happening......
Yup... though I certainly think Ace will have to do that the hard way (ie beat up the competition).