View Single Post
Old 2007-06-19, 02:48   Link #297
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Correct, she's always pranking the teacher with come-ons and sexual advances. The questions and mystery at this point is does she really mean what she says or is she just skewering Aoki for the purposes of either teasing him mercilessly or to drive him to a breakdown as she did the previous teacher? She obviously means sex, the only question in the translation is how should one translate that given her purpose and intentions and how might someone actually say those things in English.

If I walk up to a woman, its possible I could tell her
1) She's got great boobs.
2) The way she moves makes my brain seize up.
3) I'd like to lay her down and find out what kind of noises she makes.

In one level of english, that might all be communicated with
"That dress makes you look very nice."

So... that's a kind of the art of translation. As has been stated previously, in that first image Rin's kanji quite literally is rather ambiguous -- idiomatically though, its an ultimate come-hither that can be translated several ways depending on the coarseness of speech that the translator interprets the situation as calling for.

Examples of this sort of thing could include "I want you to have sex with me." (or other variations I won't list)
vs "Lets make love." or "I want you to do "it" with me."
The last two.... the former doesn't fit well with the character at this point but the latter just seems to be less clinical and more mysterious (and young girl giggly). Its a judgement call, obviously.