View Single Post
Old 2010-10-22, 11:53   Link #31
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think the evidence is ample that he's the second child, despite being the oldest. All the photos have Kirino, and he's only in a few that also feature her. His parents are interested in her activities, but at no point in the first three eps do they show the slightest interest in anything he does or where he's been. All the conversation around the dining table is about Kirino, none of it about him. She's a model, an athlete, an honor student - he's a cipher. I think it's all pretty straightforward.

In terms of his father "listening" to him, I don't think Kyou gave him any choice. Basically he jumped right in his father's face and (literally) grabbed him by the collar. I think he did that - in defiance of so much Japanese social custom - because he knew he was so insignificant in his father's eyes that nothing he said would make any impact any other way.
1. Photo albums specific for Kirino's modeling gigs.

2. Just one dinner, in the middle of it, and shot directly into Kyousuke's comments. We really have no idea if they even discussed anything else during the scene.

3. Case in point again that this is an East Asian family. It's a patriarchal system that almost naturally places men in a higher standing within the family unit. The utter silence that Kirino portrayed isn't simply because she's docile about her hobby to explain to her father, but also part of the conditioning children have in front of their parents, probably more so because she's a girl. In Kyousuke's case, he was forceful more likely because he knew their father would listen to him more than her sister being the "male" sibling, and thus needed to be completely thorough and complete in defending her sister, not just for her but for him too.

In many Asian family's, the amount of indirect "not giving a damn" your parents have for you tends to be proportional to the amount of trust they have for you. Again for the male bias, consider how their father agreed for her lifestyle only if she worked for it through her modeling gigs. You can even hear the sterner tone he uses for her. Kyosuke on the other hand doesn't even work, gets free passes and isn't subject to the same restrictions. In old school Asian families, useless sons either get a whole lot of (corrective) attention or are pretty much disowned. The girls are usually restricted, especially in conservative families.

And Kyosuke is far from useless. The mere fact that he went out to study in that episode shows that he may come off as a slacker, but he still gives a damn about himself and his family. He's not merely riding the tide. He's being active.

In any case even if was only galge and not outright eroge, it is still more likely that he would have listened to Kyosuke more than with Kirino.