Thread: Crunchyroll Hunter X Hunter Anime (2011)
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-12, 00:30   Link #274
wisteria233

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikkychappy View Post
I agree with you about the original series being amazing, and I also think it's unlikely that this remake with equal, much less top (or even come close to) to the original.

But I disagree that Madhouse has to "go home." This implies that the original should be the minimum standard that has to be met and anything else is worthless. I simply don't agree with this and I find that it is being unfair to the new series. The 2011 version is not trying to remake the original; it's remaking the manga. So for me the question is not, "Is this better than the original?" or "Does it have the subtly mature atmosphere the original series had? (which by the way, the manga did not)", but rather: "Was it able to bring Togashi's work (for all its merits and faults) to life faithfully and effectively?"

And so far, with that standard, I'm pretty satisfied.
Correction this remake has a chance to actually make the Greed Island arc better than the first adaptation's version (which was lackluster).

When I said "go home" I did not mean that the first adaptation was the standard for this new one to be judged by, because let's face it, that would be too unrealistic not to forget wrong. This is why I've pretty much always referred to the 1999 adaptation as just that an adaptation, I've never once called it original, because an adaptation can never be original. Look back in my posts when have I ever referred to the 1999 adaptation as "original" I always refer to it as an adaptation. So implying that I am calling the first adaptation original is simply ridiculous.

So far all I really care about is how enjoyable this is going to be, I'll only start comparing series, after I finish watching this one.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote