View Single Post
Old 2012-01-03, 10:22   Link #17
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
I just don't understand why people my age [17-18] are watching it. And they're all male. It seems like a little girls cartoon.

It is. But the creator also made it accessible to older audiences as well so that when they watch it with their little daughters/nieces/w/e they won't have to feel like hammering their heads in when do.

That moe joke I made earlier was actually semi-serious to be honest. If you were to show some magical girl shows like Pretty Cure or Shugo Chara to an average person unaware of anime and manga culture (hell you could probably extend this to include the bishoujou type shows as well), they'd straight up tell you those shows are for little girls and only little girls should be watching that (and they'd be completely right in a sense). I'm pretty sure many anime fans would even share that same viewpoint too and yet here they are with a massive male otaku following and fanbase for some strange reason.

The same thing that's happening there is pretty much happening here too with MLP imo. Same phenomena just in a different media culture.

It'd be pretty interesting to see how much overlap there is between MLP fans and anime/manga otaku fans tbh. I really do wonder how many "bronies" out have next to no knowledge of otaku culture at all.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2012-01-03 at 10:33.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote