View Single Post
Old 2006-08-11, 00:33   Link #2
Stahlwolf
Doujinshi Traffiker

Location: The Drought-ridden Atlanta fending off water pirates
Send a message via AIM to Stahlwolf
IMHO-

I think there are a couple of reasons that Marimite 'succeeded' where SP didn't. Mind you, I have seen and read Marimite (MM), and am currently watching SP (as of episode 19).

First: Marimite has been around longer than SP with the MM novels existing a few years before the anime, so it may have accumulated a fanbase beginning with the novels themselves. SP only started last year with both novel and manga.

Secondly: MM is close to real-life than SP with it's storyline and art. Most people, especially women, can associate better with the characters in MM, and it's based on real-life surroundings. It is also an on-going shoujo ai romance spreading across three years of Yumi's time at Lillian involving a good cast of characters, each with their own stories. There's room to grow and people can expect more read and see about in the future.
SP does have a good storyline between Shizuma and Nagisa, but it seems that series will have an immediate ending. There may be nothing to look farward to after episode 26. Furthermore, SP is brightly colored (hair), cheery, and blatantly yuri.

Don't get me wrong. I like both series.
Also, there is a slight difference between shoujo ai (romance).... and yuri (graphic fan service).

So, in conclusion, Maria-sama Ga Miteru has been around longer, and people can relate to it because of the reality of its setting and characters.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

-Gokigenyou.