Thread: Licensed Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve)
View Single Post
Old 2008-10-08, 11:38   Link #81
Slice of Life
eyewitness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
By platonic in regards to affection, that basically means going to loving lengths short of anything physical, but in terms of ideal and perhaps even romanticism of being close to someone (or someTHING). Sorta like how one may feel with a pet. But obviously, a humanoid robot has that vaguely sexual aspect as well.
I still think that "platonic" isn't the word to describe e.g. a dog-owner relationship. But the meaning of that particular word aside, these robots are considered things and you're not supposed to have a relationship with a thing in the way you describe it. The sexual aspect is actually the least problem (if you consider them to be things). Look, everybody knows what realdolls are used for. And when somebody finds one in your wardrobe it is certainly highly embarrassing. However, if you tell people that your relationship to that doll is actually purely emotional then you really start creeping them out. I think that is how society sees the dolly-keis and the reason for the "backlash on a more intimate relationships with robots in a platonic manner" as you put it. Anything along the lines "lol, he screws his machine" is a mere afterthought.

Quote:
I guess in that sense, people could overreact and treat robots harshly or excessively like we've seen in Eve so far. It makes sense, but that kind of action reeks pretty much of hypocrisy to me.
I thin most people would feel uneasy around human-like slaves. We're just wired that way through our upbringing. And that emotional reaction doesn't change just because you're intellectually 100 percent convinced that they are just machines. You're getting angry at yourself and that anger turns against said machines. Like kicking your computer after the third failed attempt to fix a bug in your code. It's not necessarily hypocrisy.

Quote:
As for Chobits, though that show was more about just fooling around with robots and having ecchi fun, I think that show's underlying message isn't so different from Eve's, though this show obviously puts the psychological aspects of robotic laws at the forefront.
Depends on how you interpret the message of EnJ. But Chii being a robot is merely a plot device to explain why she is how she is. She is the slightly (well, strongly) retarded, dependent, submissive girl archetype. She is pretty much the antithesis to Akiko or Nagi.