View Single Post
Old 2009-09-11, 07:47   Link #2018
Kylegoblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
This is a great post that encompasses a lot of what I've felt about this subject for a very long time. I've never paid much attention to shipping wars into shipping wars because the one who "wins" doesn't really win. Instead, he/she is just the character who the love interest cared the most for. And so in that context, a lot of the arguments about who should end up with who lost a lot of their power.

In terms of anime, I came to look at relationships this way starting with the love triangle in Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. There, it was entirely a matter of who Bakayuki invested more in, and who he could afford to lose the least; and not a matter of who needed him the most. In a twist of ironies, what work is it that first awakened this idea in me? It was none other than SDF Macross (no bonuses for guessing which love triangle ).
IMO, this post and the one 4tran quotes are the best I've read in these forums. I couldn't agree more. I enjoyed watching all of the characters in the show although I found it hard to really like any of them, if that makes any sense. But I did find Ranka's naivete entertaining. I didn't care if she ended up with Alto or not so I don't see it as a failure for the character if she remains single. I won't go on a feminist rant (since I'm not one) but I hope in any future incarnations she becomes a heroic character based on her deeds not on whether she wins the guy or not :P

Last edited by Kylegoblue; 2009-09-11 at 08:11. Reason: clarification