Thread: Licensed Gunbuster
View Single Post
Old 2006-10-24, 12:48   Link #9
chrno

Send a message via AIM to chrno
I'm wondering if the edition of 'Gunbuster' we're getting is based off the R2 special ED that was released awhile back. I'm assuming for that PRICE that they would be releasing all 3 vols separately. Six eps at 2 eps-a-piece and lots of extras. It's a bit pricey but to be honest it only looks that way because people are looking at the price and not at the vols. If they had released it separately (provided that's the case) then you'd be playing $20 ea. anyway. 'Kiddy Grade' was $20+ a pop, running at $160 because you had 8 vols. They re-released the series as double discs and you ended up paying half ($80). Now they released a boxset which costs about $12-$15 less than the doubles. 'Giant Robo' was the same way. Three discs, plus 'Ginrei Specials', an extra disc and a stupid eye holder that falls apart. Hahahaha!!! Of course I found that release to be utterly stupid as no retailer told you what the 5th disc was. And people still don't know. I thank 'AonDVD' for clearing the fog.

But I remember when the R2s came out for 'GB' and it had new illustrations by 'HAL' (Haruhiko Mikimoto's handle). So I'm assuming they might be using those. As the ones from years ago were ok, including 'Manga Ent's shoddy imaging skills. To be honest I can't wait to see what the overall product looks like. I'll be picking it up for myself and recommending it to my job as students here at the college need to see it. All we have is one vol. 1 donated on VHS. We have 'EVA' so why not 'Gunbuster'? It's a classic. Not only that it's one of 'Gainax's earlier works.

They should've thrown in the soundtrack too.

"I'm afraid 400 years won't cover me."
chrno is offline   Reply With Quote