View Single Post
Old 2012-05-01, 11:38   Link #28
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
When I said "incomplete" I didn't mean the story, but the man himself.

There's nothing wrong with either focusing on negatives and ignoring the positives, or with focusing on positives and ignoring the negatives. But imho, true strength lies in that despite knowing everything we do would actually be futile (negatives), we struggle towards that good end nonetheless (positives). It takes even greater strength still to not lose this resolve and to last until the (more than likely) bitter end. Gen knows that much, but probably thinks such strength is impossible to come from mere humans. Thus he gave up on the idea altogether.

"everything is futile" is a highly nihilistic view. Gen ignores happiness because they're transient, an illusion in the bigger picture. That's where I disagree. Happiness is precious because it's transient, and it's sometimes worth one or several lifetimes.
Yet, Gen does acknowledge the struggle. Sure, his stories focus on the negatives, but the positives still remain. Clouded and hard to see, yes. But the 'light at the end of the tunnel' is still there.

Homura never stops her struggle, and Madoka reaches the end of the tunnel eventually. Meanwhile in Fate/Zero, despite the gloom and doom surrounding most characters (which is understandable with them all being tragic heroes) we have Iskandar boosting morale all around.

Black Lagoon as well, while certainly being about the darker aspects of human society, tends to end on a high note.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote