Thread: Apple IPad
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-17, 21:23   Link #163
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialX View Post
I just got the new iPad and I have to say that this is a fine device, especially for us anime fans. It will decode MKV like a knife cutting butter.

I always carried a Galaxy S2 because Android supported hardware decoding. I love iOS and its polished apps, but the lack of such a feature practically forced me to carry an Android phone. Now that the new iPad can do this, I finally have a reason to say goodbye to Android!

I demo some latest episodes below such as Kill Me Baby, Guilty Crown and Nisemonogatari. They're all either 8-bit or 10-bit MKV files at 720p, and show them playing unconverted on the new iPad. Hopefully this will help some of you still on the fence to make a decision.

The Retina Display is amazing, btw.
I tried AVPlayer on my iPhone 4S and got the same result for the most part... I suspect the new iPad can play this smoothly because of the extra graphics processing. I suppose that it will work the same on the iPhone 4S since it shares the same processor, except that it only have dual core GPUs. Needless to say, it plays pretty damn decent with no frame drops... Also tried 10bit and works fine. I think the dual core A5 and graphics makes a big difference compared to the Apple A4, which only had one core.

But needless to say, this can come in handy if I go on vacation... I can just watch my stuff from my phone instead of taking out my laptop.
(Not to mention, the VLC port sucked, but the official developers are making a new and probably better port of it)