Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-04-04, 21:28   Link #6781
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
I think that's another issue I have with the iPod touch/iPhone/iPad, is that "closed-garden" approach. I think if you pay through the nose for one of these, then you are entitled to do whatever you want with it, it doesn't make sense to me why Apple would continue putting a chokehold on what goes onto products they have already sold. Similar systems have existed in other devices (Symbian S60 3rd edition's mandatory code signing is one of them), but I cannot understand why? When it comes to operator control, a SIM lock is pretty much the only thing I can think of that would make sense (as you obtain the phone on a contract for $0 upfront, or you pay a fraction of the retail price for a pre-paid one).
AT&T's Android devices also another example where the search engine is set to Yahoo, AT&T junk installed on it and no ability to install unsigned or non-AT&T Android apps. This is a main reason I can't switch to Android since the AT&T Android devices are wel... another closed garden and buying a unlocked device costs way too much money since like Nexus One and the Motorola Milestone, two nice devices that would work on AT&T, but they cost too much and I can't afford it since I'm only a college student.

Windows Phone 7 uses the same exact closed garden approach as Apple... I guess Microsoft wants a tight control of the device just like Apples... I dunno... but as long AT&T continues to cripple the Android devices, there is no appealing reason to switch and the Jailbreak at the moment is the only thing possible to make the iPhone a usable device. Can't be any worse than Sony, who took away my OtherOS feature on my fat Playstation 3.