View Single Post
Old 2012-08-31, 07:35   Link #478
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Actually, this is a small point that I think got missed in a lot of the discussion about the episode. I've read some opinions that were like "oh how patriarchal; the man goes to hunt while the woman cooks the food"... and with that being accompanied by the scene later where she has Kirito "protect her" (even though it was clearly an act, as shown by how it ended) combines to give an impression that the show is a lot more patriarchal than I think is ultimately intended in a broader context. Indeed, the cooking thing isn't because just she's a girl, but goes back to when Kirito showed her that food could taste good in the game. One gets the impression that she doesn't want to eat bland food, so pursuing the skill became something of a hobby of self-interest. Her ultimate decisions in the game were greatly influenced by their meeting back on their first floor. (Of course, it doesn't change the fact that it matches the stereotype in the end... but at least there's a bit of broader justification.)

As for the tsundere/yandere issue... I too never got that impression. I think she's got spunk and is trying to show that she's no helpless damsel in distress (again, might initially seem ironic but it really isn't)... but I think her attitude is mostly a way of asserting herself. She's trying to built a rapport, but wants to keep a certain distance so they can stay safely as friends (until she's more sure of how he feels). I think she's basically playing a game to try to not let on that she's interested in him as a way of hoping he'll make the first move.
True dat. I do find her (Asuna), however, as more of a Badass in Distress.
ronelm2000 is offline   Reply With Quote