View Single Post
Old 2011-09-16, 10:22   Link #1051
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Since It Is by Its Breath

To me the definite creepy factor for this show has been watching Saya attempting to keep herself together by going through her everyday routines after her "illusion" world has been literally torn apart by the Furukimono.

I mean just take in this episode with Tokizane's death, and Saya more accepting, though hurt, and next morning she tries again retaking her "normal" life like putting up on her school uniform and singing to her heart's content, but it's obvious she's losing her mood and spirits.

Now, we got to learn lots of puzzle pieces from the episode's Furukimono and from the stranger shown in Sayas' dream visions, and not to mention the mind blowing twists happening with Tsusutori-sensei and the unexpected guests at the end of this episode.

Just like the rest of you guys, I don't know anymore what's CLAMP setting up, although I can only pray they're going to treat the audience with something that anyone can say, My God, that's some mind-blowing stuff. Of course, as long as CLAMP can pull it out right.

My speculations go:
- There's no doubt that humans broke the covenant (whatever that is). By doing that, the Furukimono retaliated back in the context that since humans were not committed to keep their end of the bargain, the Furukimono were set free of the promise to keep.
Recall in episode five when Tsusutori brings up the ghost stories about the legend of the monsters, she narrates how the humans from the ancient era attempted to engage in conversation and reasoning with the Furukimono, but the latter refused to establish non-agression pacts with the human species, deeming it just as food.
- My point is what if in the past the humans succeeded at establishing a bargain with the Furukimono?, and what if that bargain resulted in the covenant? I wouldn't say bargain, but more of a non-agression pact. The Furukimono promising not to attack humans for feeding from them, as long as the humans promised them to keep their end of the bargain.

Which begs the noble question what did humans promise the Furukimono, in order for the covenant to be maintained?

The consequences for humans breaking the covenant as we can be seeing right now are the Furukimono calling off their end of the deal and reverting to their old ways, that is consuming humans for food again. Furthermore, this breach is not recent in the storyline, rather the covenant was broken at least several decades ago.

I base my last statement upon the flashbacks Saya has been recalling from her presumed, previous life were she sees herself slaying and slaughtering Chiropteran-like creatures.

Also, at the temples archives, the recorded texts are all brand-new, as Tsusutori makes Saya to note about. Thus, making me think that the covenant was broken for a good amount of time, but the Furukimono not taking action until the uprising from the start of the story.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote