View Single Post
Old 2013-10-21, 19:15   Link #30
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore

Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
I think that's a bit too harsh, even if it's really cautious. As I've stated before, this topic goes beyond TLR in particular, because I believe the OP and many people around here would like to import more stuff in the future.

It's best to send a message, of "You're mostly safe but here is the worst case scenario", and with that kind of measurement should create more comfort in the long run and expectations in the future, as well as a more informed decision.

In the end, despite it not being used that much, it's definitely a law citizens should try contesting, and I would feel the same towards similar laws in my area as well. There's a lot more at stake here which affects many on this site.

It's not about fear. It's about how to approach and work around a broken law while building awareness. And considering all the bias and ignorance on many countries this side of the world towards a medium that we all share, it makes sense that Speedyexpress is looking up on all corners. We may all disagree on whether certain anime is good or not, but most of us would certainly balk at whatever loaded labels given by people in power and "Special Intrest" groups who have most likely never ever seen the material they condemn.

Of course, the attitudes are much worse down here in the south, but yea....
Lol. Well, I guess it's true that I been a bit paranoid lately, mostly due to the fact that I sold bitcoin anonymously...and you know where that usually leads to. I'm not afraid of much of anything right now, but I have friends and random people I sorta know that are becoming super paranoid and that spreads, especially here in Colorado where every outgoing package is probably inspected for marijuana. Also, like 0utf0xzer0 said, it has been done before, and even if Baron's artbook is legal material, it might be nice to warn other people about stuff like this because it has happened before.

Still, it's not something I would be super paranoid about, though I would keep it in mind. You're right, this isn't heroin, and it probably is acceptable under the law.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Of course, the attitudes are much worse down here in the south, but yea....
Well, there's night and day difference between California and the great plains. Which is what sucks about "American obscenity standards"...aka "what's legal in CA might not be legal anywhere else." Keep in mind, American (Californian) companies produce "lolicon"-like material all the time, and a lot of comic book obscenity cases involve such items when offloaded to another state. :P

Also, I wouldn't say attitudes are better up North; a fun fact-Canada banned more books than the Soviet Union during the Cold War. It's more of a rural vs urban thing, and America is a lot more socially liberal than people realize....

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos