View Single Post
Old 2012-09-21, 00:41   Link #12
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Yes, I remember you raising those points before, and my opinion hasn't changed.

The whole point of retiring a sub-forum is a) a reflection of the fact that the activity in the sub-forum had already dropped to near zero, and b) a deliberate effort to continue shifting attention to other parts of the site so that those old parts of the forum can rest in peace. Our sub-forum structure generally works well for shows that have a certain amount of momentum and popularity (among other factors). We do not wish to accept a mandate to foster niche communities for older shows, so we expect that (generally speaking) interest in a franchise will die down and people will move on. Of course we will still allow discussion to occur, but you will find that it gets less useful/constructive the older the series gets (and after some time, we take specific steps to help ensure it stays that way). For that die-hard remnant community who wants to carry on a much broader/more vibrant discussion after a show is "past its prime", you honestly may need to seek out other places on the Internet. That's not a role this site is going to fill, at least not right now. (The only way we would consider serving a need somewhat like this would require a radical rethinking of the concept of Social Groups.)

(And I still say from experience that open thread creation is not the cure you think it is. For every one legitimate thread that might be created, there will be 5+ pointless threads that clutter things up, hurt searchability, require more clicking, and still mostly consist of either a) pointless poll threads, b) trivial questions that have been addressed countless times, or c) grandstanding by people who would otherwise be "comment bombers". This forum revolves around "one topic, one thread"; I don't see that ever changing. But I don't think any of us on the staff are naive enough to think that this Forum can be all things to all people.)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-21 at 00:59.