View Single Post
Old 2010-12-12, 15:47   Link #3252
Cherry_Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi Hou Take View Post
True but if you think about it more than likely one of the reasons Rin likes Shirou apart from that incident is because Shirou was able to be to Sakura what Rin could not which was to be a caring older sibling. Rin would at the very least feel gratitude for this even if Sakura was no longer alive.
Well, that is possibly true, but I doubt she would be able to justify saving him with "well, he was nice to Sakura before".

Quote:
Then you have the fact that Rin has made far more illogical decisions regarding Shirou than Sakura. I mean becoming his ally is all well and good in order to make sure he doesn't die for Sakura's sake, but moving into his house and teaching him magic personally goes far beyond protecting his life especially since he was pretty much holding her back.
The difference is that she finds it far easier to justify doing these things with Shirou than she does to justify doing them with Rin. She's been specifically told by her father not to contact Sakura, whereas there is no rule about allying with another master in the Grail Wars, and her "logic" for training Shirou ("if I'm going to ally with him, then I'd better make sure he's strong enough to help") was just about sufficent to allow her to pretend that it was an entirely selfish action even though it wasn't.

Look at HF, for instance. At the first sign of an excuse to do so, Rin breaks into the Matou house and checks it out. Similarly, Rin spends most of the route saying that she's going to kill Sakura and then finding excuses not to. The point is that she can only do that if there exists some excuse for ignoring her father's rules, and the situation in HF provides that in the way that the situations in Fate and UBW do not.

Quote:
Not to mention she basicaly told Sakura to up an leave in a very harsh manner. Sure it was the logical choice in order to protect her life but seemed more like something she would do to anyone else rather than specifically protecting Sakura.
Well, the reason for that is because she has to make herself think that it was "how she would treat anyone else". You only have to look at her actions in the rest of the game to see that she was clearly trying to "protect" Sakura as best as she could.

Quote:
Then you have her going right into the heart of the enemy base, risking her life and sacrificing her servant all to try and save Shirou and this was all in Fate route when they didn't even have a relationship. When it comes to Shirou Rin tends to go above and beyond the call of duty of simply saving Shirou because of Sakura and a small crush.
Well, the thing is, you're mistaking Rin's attitude towards Shirou when she's known him for a week and fought alongside him with her attitude when she didn't actually know him at all.

Once she gets to know Shirou as a person, you are entirely right. She isn't protecting him because he's close to Sakura any more, she's protecting him because she cares for him and she knows damn well that, if the situation was reversed, he'd help her without a second thought (as UBW proves). However, at the point where she saved him in the school, she did not know him, and the only reasons for saving him were Sakura and her crush. Of those, I'm pretty sure Sakura was the bigger factor.

Quote:
Rin for the most part is very self serving she tries to follow the logical and magus path but she generally just does wants especially with Shirou and especially not with Sakura although she probably cares for both equally.
Well, not really. Rin is actually a pretty kind person, although you're right that she tries to follow the "magus path". She certainly doesn't do "what she wants" with Sakura, though, and I'm not sure she does with Shirou, except in UBW.

Quote:
Either way their was a good chance that she would of saved Shirou anyway although she probably convinced herself with the fact that it was worth it because of Sakura.
I don't agree, honestly. If it had been ten days later then, yes, she would, but at that point, I very much doubt it.
Cherry_Lover is offline   Reply With Quote