View Single Post
Old 2012-07-04, 02:19   Link #29536
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Only the unveiling of Truth that claims to be Absolute can break the cycle, but doing so could kill all the sentient beings constantly born through the process. The truth may be liberating, but it may also be destructive. Which world is more important to you, Ange? Make your choice.
I would actually go so far as to side with BATTLER on this one and say that it is practically impossible to restore "PRIME" or a single reality to the past, especially to Rokkenjima. We would need the objective view of every possible event on Rokkenjima to actually do that or else it would forever stay in the cycle of being recreated continuously. We basically would need the Red Truth for that, and as he told Ange, humans have no access to that power.

Of course certain sentient beings are killed by the process of forming truth (be it the actual truth or just a convenient truth), but certain beings continue to exist. For example if culprit Battler were true, Black Battler could continue to exist as he is not solely dependent on the magical narrative like for example The 1000 Year Old Endless Witch Beatrice from EP1-5 is.
This is very well shown due to Kanon and Shannon. Let's assume we uncovered the truth of what actually happened in 1986, but the Kanon subplot had incidentally no relation to it whatsoever. Maybe this would lead to people just not questioning Kanon's existence in 1986 and thus he would continue to exist on Rokkenjima during that time from the perspective of the people in the future.

This actually leads me to an interesting idea about the Shannon and Kanon resurrection in EP3. Not only the original author has power over the existence of those sentient "beings of the fantastical realm", but everybody who contributes to the pool of "Rokkenjima stories and fabrications".
Basically the conviction of George and Jessica that the person they met was Shannon and Kanon respectively made them appear at that point because there was nothing disputing that point of view. Maybe, if we had questioned Beatrice about "that Shannon" or "that Kanon" she might have had to say:
"These are not the same Shannon and Kanon who died. That Shannon or Kanon can never be resurrected again."
(We actually have some hints of this in EP2 when Shannon says something along the lines, that she noticed too late how this Kanon was not actually Kanon.)

This is what I meant further above when I said that 幻想の住人 was closer in meaning to "Inhabitants of the Fantastical" than to "Illusion Dwellers", because they are less product of illusions but still dependent on believe and the creation of such a realm (which is fictional = fantastical).

The same thing is basically quintessential in historical studies. You have to be aware that everything you are dealing with is a reconstruction and get's more and more vague the less evidence you have. But even the evidence you have can be false, falsely read, falsely interpreted, anything.
The Queen Elizabeth I or Albert Einstein or even Adolf Hitler we talk about in history classes today is also to a great deal "fictional" in the way that they are recreated from evidence. Everything about them could change everyday, which basically would mean that the Elizabeth that existed in our 1576 would "die" and be replaced by a new (from over view more correct) Elizabeth.

Quote:
If you think he's not deserving of forgiveness, when he did everything he thought he could do, you...just might be kind of evil.
I'd agree on that one.
He might have been a pretty terrible father, an egoistical whiner, an adulterer, maybe even a murderer and rapist, but he seemed to hate himself for every one of those things. The only thing that apparently made him happy for a short while was his time with Bice.
Even in the time with his daughter, whom he fashioned to be a ressurection of Bice, he seemed to be subconsciously unhappy...getting angry whenever she called him father (it was a little visible in the EP3 scene, but it really becomes apparent with BATTLER and Chick-Beato), locking her up, etc.

I wouldn't want to make excuses for him, he probably was a pretty faulty person all put together, but because we never actually got to hear many views on how he ACTUALLY treated (or thought of) his grandchildren, Battler's depiction in EP8 might be true as well.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote