View Single Post
Old 2013-02-22, 09:19   Link #6806
Kudryavka

When I say "free", I meant "free to me". Of course it's not really free but viewers are not paying.

What is this "TV license fee"? Is it something that viewers pay? Where I live all I pay for is the TV, a TV box and an optional cable box but I know for late night anime it's different and the studios don't get funding from networks to run their anime. The anime is essentially a long advertisement so the studio pays the network to run it. So I am seeing the entire ad and sponsors in TV ripped fansubs I think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
You don't watch them for free, they are being paid on your behalf by advertisers.

If there is an attempt to copy, modify and edit, it is considered a breach of copyright and it is an offence. Although you may have to pay remedies, the producers aren't stupid, as what Vexx have said, they do know how to run businesses. They do not care about these kind of small stuff because they know litigation is expensive and that money can be better used to create something else to sell.

Still, be careful if you are going to do this - against better financed opponents there isn't much of a way you can win.
Thank you. Are anie paid for by many ads that run during the program?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
And what if the movie never makes it to a cinema near you? How are you going to view the movie first, to decide if you wish to buy a DVD/BD of it later?
Thank you for reply.
If I never saw the movie I wouldn't want to own it at all. But if it was for a series I already like then I'll just blind buy (I am doing that for the Madoka movies when they come out on BD because I missed them).

Quote:
No, TV viewing is never "free". You forget that you pay a TV licence fee. And that's before you even consider subscribed cable or satellite channels.
What is the licensing fee? Does customer pay?

Quote:
In principle, as long as you're making a copy and distributing the copy without permission or licence, you're doing something illegal. It makes no difference whether you ripped the content from TV programming or DVD/BDs.

There might be some ambiguity over whether simply making a copy is already considered an offence. The Laws of Anime was recently published on Anime News Network. I read the first part, but not the second. A clearer answer might be found there.
Yeah I had feeling would come to that it's illegal anyway. Guess morality comes in again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In most cases, you are committing a copyright infringement of some sort (even if it was broadcast on cable, you don't have a subscription - if it was broadcast on free television, you still didn't watch the advertisements).

However, whether it really matters or not to the producers practically depends on if they think they lost money or not. So far *most* anime producers don't really care about overseas infringements because people who watch fansubs either were never going to buy anyway (leechers) or they will later buy the series when R1 distributor licenses it anyway, kind of a "don't ask don't tell".

Now that services like CrunchyRoll and Funimation netcast series, it has gotten more complicated. For example, I subscribe to Crunchyroll but I grab fansubs anyway because I think it is stupid and wasteful to restream an episode several times. When the DVDs come out, they've corrected broadcast flaws, added extended footage or bonus episodes - often I end up buying the DVDs anyway.

I simply refuse to buy DVD/Bluray without having seen a broadcast version of the product. The moral of the story is that it is a murky swamp of "right" and "wrong" - you just have to wade through and figure out what is moral for you and what kind of risks those entail.
Ok, thank you for reply.
It is illegal anyway.

Well this puts me in a rut. But I'm glad for Crunchyroll, I only watch them whenever I can even though their subs are bad occassionally (I watch very few unlicensed anime a year so its really easy to just trust Crunchy). Then I buy discs if they ever come out where I am, but I'm going to buy the R2 releases someday (since I think BDs from Japan will work on American player?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
isnt that basically alblum
Yesss that is the word! Okay so imgur does that

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-22 at 09:32.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote