View Single Post
Old 2008-03-04, 03:36   Link #560
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I don't want to get into the topic much, but I can guarantee you it goes both ways.
South Korean media and educational institutes advocating hatred is just as much of a problem fueling the tention as Japanese cultural arrogance.
For every finger you point, opposite fingers can be pointed back. So be careful.
Not "pointing fingers"... I'm staying within the country referenced in the thread's topic (aka Japan) Certainly, there are a variety of views, some skewed some accurate on historical events. However, there isn't a solid cohesive view of those histories even within Japan. (Discussing Korea or other countries would be better suited in a different thread).

A classic example is the Okinawan annoyance at the attempts of some wingnuts in the educational textbook bureaucracy to rewrite historical events in Okinawa. The rewrite attempt conflicted with what Okinawan Japanese and Japanese military vets remember. If these wingnuts are so proud of themselves, one has to ask why they keep trying to misrepresent historical events. Wingnuttery isn't exclusive to Japan though.... we have our own brand in the US that keep creating a fairytale of history that falls apart the instant a few facts are presented but again that'd be a different thread